At 9:30 this morning, residents of a Downtown luxury high-rise were forced to evacuate when an electrical fire broke out sending smoke billowing throughout the building.
According to a tenant, “thick, foul-smelling smoke filled the hallways” sending residents out onto the street and into nearby businesses on a frigid winter morning.
The building’s owner, KRE, describes the building — 225 Grand Street — as having “exquisite apartments with first class amenities to match.”
In an email this morning, management initially told residents to remain in their apartments. “We are in the process of finding where the issue lies. The Fire Department is on the way, and they may have to temporarily shut the electricity off. Please remain in your unit unless instructed otherwise b (sic) the Fire Department. We WI (sic) be sure to reach back out with further undates (sic). We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience in the matter. Best Regards, 225 Grand Management”
Despite the inconvenience, one resident reports a “festive” atmosphere with “dogs and donuts.” No injuries were reported.